Discover York’s Chocolate Story
Children will love the tour especially the chocolate tasting and lollipop making. They will squeal with delight at all the temptations on offer, but it’s also a light-hearted and easy way for the whole family to learn about the ‘City of Chocolate’.
If it’s a rainy day in York, this is the place to come with the kids.
Discover York’s Chocolate History
York’s Chocolate Story is located right in the centre of York on King’s Square so you can’t miss it (and neither will your children) if you happen to walk past.
Once safely inside, families are taken on a guided tour, Willy Wonka style. There are different zones and each one is cleverly designed to be interactive and fun for kids.
The tour starts in the cinema room with a short film about South America and the early origins of chocolate. It’s educational and informative. Adults certainly won’t get bored. They’ll definitely learn some interesting new facts about chocolate, always handy if you like a game of Trivial Pursuit or a pub quiz.
Meet York’s Famous Chocolate Families
In the Story Zone, you’ll be given an entertaining and clever introduction to the Tuke, Rowntree, Terry and Craven families. These famous York families all opened their own cocoa houses and chocolate shops in city during the 18th century.
Using multi media, a character from each family literally comes alive and tells you about their business. It’s great. You discover the stories of real people who worked in York’s chocolate factories and find out what it was like to have a job making chocolate.
Make Chocolate Lollipops
Downstairs in the Factory Zone, kids learn how cocoa beans are transformed into chocolate before making chocolate lollipops. They can also watch the chocolatiers at work in the kitchen.
Of course, it’s all cleverly designed so you end up in the Indulgence Zone where you’ll find a Chocolate Cafe. After such a great chocolate education, it would be hard not to indulge. Try the chocolate connoisseur’s hot chocolate, perhaps order a chocolate fondue for two or treat yourself to a chocolate afternoon tea.
There’s a rather large chocolate shop (we warned you). The chocolate selection is primarily aimed at children but adults can take home artisan chocolates from the likes of London chocolatiers, Rococo or Charbonnel & Walker.
- During busy times such as half term, queues can form so buy your ticket in advance to secure your preferred time slot
- Running until 31 December 2019, is a special exhibition dedicated to telling the story of the KitKat
- Did you know that if chocolate develops a white coating this isn’t mould, it’s sugar coming to the surface (apparently chocolate can last for up to 90 years)
- Need a chocolate gift? Discover 60 of the Best Gifts for Chocolate Lovers
Mr Hendricks says, “Sadly, not a doggy day out for me. Why don’t you bring me home a new toy instead?”.
How to Find York’s Chocolate Story
York Chocolate Story, 3-4 Kings Square, York YO1 7LD
York's Chocolate Story
The Foodie Travel Guide
Sally is the founder and editor of The Foodie Travel Guide. She travels around the UK and beyond in search of the best foodie days out, tasting experiences and delicious places to stay. She loves a glass of English sparkling wine, afternoon tea with friends and escaping London for gastronomic adventures.
York's Chocolate Story Guided Tour
- 1.5-hour guided tour of York’s Chocolate Story museum
- Ideal for families
- Explore the interactive exhibitions with a guide
- Learn about York’s chocolate making history
- Watch a chocolate making demonstration
- Small-group tour limited to 15 people
Save Money With The York Pass Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
- Free entry to 30 top attractions in historic York
- Beat the queues
- Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
- Includes entrance to York’s Chocolate Story
- Highlights include York Minster, Castle Howard, Jorvik Centre and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway
You May Also Like:
Take the guesswork out of where to stay in York with our hotel recommendations. From boutique hotels to gastropubs with rooms, we’ve got lots of delicious recommendations for you.