Discover York’s Chocolate Story
York’s Chocolate Story, York
York’s Chocolate Story is a popular family attraction. Visit and you’ll discover York’s unique chocolate history and learn about the founding families who made the city world-famous for its chocolate and confectionery.
York’s Chocolate Story is located in the centre of York
York Chocolate Story is definitely an attraction for families rather than serious chocolate connoisseurs.
Children will love the tour especially the chocolate tasting and lollipop making. They will squeal with delight at all the temptations on offer, but it’s also a light-hearted and easy way for the whole family to learn about the ‘City of Chocolate’.
If it’s a rainy day in York, this is the place to come with the kids.
Discover York’s Chocolate History
York’s Chocolate Story is located right in the centre of York on King’s Square. Once inside, you’re taken on a guided tour of different zones designed to be interactive and fun for kids. The tour starts in the cinema room with a short film about South America and the early origins of chocolate.
Meet York’s Famous Chocolate Families
In the Story Zone, you’re given an entertaining and clever introduction to the Tuke, Rowntree, Terry and Craven families. These famous families all opened their own cocoa houses and chocolate shops in York during the 18th century. Using multi media, a character from each family literally comes alive and tells you about their business. You also discover the stories of real people who worked in York’s chocolate factories and find out what it was like to have a job making chocolate.
Make Chocolate Lollipops
Downstairs in the Factory Zone, kids learn how cocoa beans are transformed into chocolate before making chocolate lollipops. They can also watch the chocolatiers at work in the kitchen. Of course, it’s all cleverly designed so you end up in the Indulgence Zone where you’ll find a Chocolate Cafe and a rather large chocolate shop (we warned you).
- During busy times such as half term, queues can form so buy your ticket in advance to secure your preferred time slot
- Did you know that if chocolate develops a white coating this isn’t mould, it’s sugar coming to the surface (apparently chocolate can last for up to 90 years)
- Need a chocolate gift? Discover 60 of the Best Gifts for Chocolate Lovers
Mr Hendricks says, “Sadly, not a doggy day out for me. Why don’t you bring me home a new toy instead?”.
How to Find York’s Chocolate Story
York Chocolate Story, 3-4 Kings Square, York YO1 7LD
York's Chocolate Story
The Foodie Travel Guide
Sally is the founder and editor of The Foodie Travel Guide. She travels around the UK and beyond in search of the best foodie days out, tasting experiences and delicious places to stay. She loves a glass of English sparkling wine, afternoon tea with friends and escaping London for gastronomic adventures.
York's Chocolate Story Guided Tour
- 1.5-hour guided tour of York’s Chocolate Story museum
- Ideal for families
- Explore the interactive exhibitions with a guide
- Learn about York’s chocolate making history
- Watch a chocolate making demonstration
- Small-group tour limited to 15 people
Save Money With The York Pass Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
- Free entry to 30 top attractions in historic York
- Beat the queues
- Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
- Includes entrance to York’s Chocolate Story
- Highlights include York Minster, Castle Howard, Jorvik Centre and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway
You May Also Like:
Take the guesswork out of where to stay in York with our hotel recommendations. From boutique hotels to gastropubs with rooms, we’ve got lots of delicious recommendations for you.