Thatchers Cider Shop, Myrtle Farm, Somerset
Somerset is cider country. At Myrtle Farm in the village of Sandford, you’ll find Thatchers, a family firm that’s been making cider for over 100 years. Visit the Thatchers Cider Shop and its pub, The Railway Inn, to enjoy a taste of this refreshing drink.
Taste and shop for Somerset cider at Thatchers Cider Shop in Sandford. Photo: Thatchers Cider
Pop into the Thatchers cider shop at Myrtle Farm to taste cider and stock up on your favourites. Even better, walk or cycle along The Strawberry Line – the path passes through the middle of their orchards. You’ll find their pub, The Railway Inn, in Sandford village. The food on the pub’s menu all comes with cider pairing suggestions. Keep an eye out too for their annual open day in September.
- Walk through the apple orchards
- Taste Somerset cider
- Eat at The Railway Inn
- Cycle or walk the Strawberry Line
The Thatcher’s Story
In 1904, William Thatcher decided to start making cider on the family farm using oak vats. It’s a tradition that has carried on with each generation of the family passing their knowledge on to the next. They now have over 380 acres of orchards and still use their 100 year-old oak vats to mature the cider giving it the distinct Thatchers taste.
If you’re walking or cycling along The Strawberry Line, come in the spring to see the apple blossom or in the autumn, to smell the scent of ripe apples on the trees. It’s a great place to see wildlife too including deer and birds.
Taste cider in the shop along the way and stock up on your favourites. You can even fill up your own keg. Try these:
- Cheddar Valley – A traditional Somerset cider produced from a blend of English apples. Naturally cloudy cider and matured in oak vats to give it a robust full flavour
- Thatchers Somerset Rose – a rosé cider blended and blushed from Katy apples. A light, refreshing and fruity flavour
- Visit Sandford Station an elegantly restored old railway station with a small heritage centre and shop
- For a Somerset picnic, buy a bottle of cider, Cheddar cheese, bread and a punnet of strawberries
- The Old Station at Winscombe has picnic benches and makes a good half way stopping point along the Strawberry Line
- Visit the Somerset Distillery at Burrow Hill to taste Somerset Cider Brandy
Use cider as a delicious alternative to red wine when making beef bourguignon.
Shop This Story
Where to Stay in Somerset
The Swan at Wedmore
The Swan offers fresh and modern rooms in the tranquil Somerset village of Wedmore.
Rooms from £68 a night.
I’m very welcome at The Railway Inn in Sandford and there are great walks nearby.
How to Find Thatchers Cider Shop
Thatchers Cider Shop, Myrtle Farm, Station Rd, Sandford, Winscombe BS25 5RA
Find more Foodie Things To Do in Somerset.
Discover more Cider Tasting Experiences.
The Foodie Travel Guide
Sally is the founder and editor of The Foodie Travel Guide. She travels around the UK and beyond in search of the best foodie days out, tasting experiences and delicious places to stay. She loves a glass of English sparkling wine, afternoon tea with friends and escaping London for gastronomic adventures.