Petersham Nurseries Café, Richmond, Surrey
Petersham Nurseries Café was Britain’s first real gourmet garden restaurant. Eat lunch in the Café or The Tea House and you’ll feel like you’re in Italy on your summer holiday.
Diners having lunch at Petersham Nurseries Café in Richmond
For over 10 years, Londoners in search of a refuge from the city, have been drawn to Petersham Nurseries. With its blooming flowers and vintage glasshouses, this elegant garden centre is an oasis of calm and a shrine to shabby chic. Its café restaurant first gained its reputation under the talented chef Skye Gyngell, earning her a Michelin star. Now under new head chef, Damian Clisby, previously at HIX Soho, the Cafe won “Best Slow Food Restaurant / Eatery 2015” in the Slow Food London Awards.The Foodie Travel Guide
- Lunch in the Café restaurant
- Have tea and cake in The Tea House
- Shop for plants and shabby chic gifts
- Special tastings and events
London’s Gourmet Garden Centre
Walk along the Thames path from Richmond and you’ll soon find Petersham Nurseries. Hidden away in a beautiful spot across a meadow, it’s a special place to visit for garden inspiration and good food. Since Gael and Francesco Boglione transformed the space in 2004, it has gained a large following among London’s Foodie Gardeners keen to temporarily escape to another world. Try and visit during the week if you can, when it’s quieter.
Lunch in Petersham Nurseries Rustic Cafe
Petersham Nurseries Cafe is a rustic and utterly charming restaurant. Tables are worn and wobbly, there are no tablecloths, glasses are mismatched and there are earthen floors. Staying true to its owners’ roots, it serves lunches with an Italian accent. Dishes are seasonally-inspired with a menu that changes daily. Some of the freshest ingredients including the herby salads leaves, edible flowers and vegetables, come from the kitchen garden at their neighbouring home, Petersham House. Prices are on the high side though, so it’s one to save for a special occasion and due to its popularity, you’ll need to book in advance.
Take Tea in The Tea House
Shop for Shabby Chic
Special Events and Tastings
- Parking is very limited so take the train to Richmond and enjoy a 15 minute riverside walk along the scenic Thames path
- Do the 10 mile circular walk of Richmond Park and stop halfway round at Petersham Nurseries for lunch
- Pop in to William Curley’s chocolate shop in Richmond for a sweet treat
- Walk along the river towards Kew and experience Kew on a Plate at Kew Royal Botanic Gardens
- Visit nearby Eel Pie Island, home to an artists’ colony. The studios have regular open days
WHERE TO STAY IN LONDON
A 15-minute walk from Richmond Tube Station,the Bingham features luxurious rooms, some overlooking the River Thames.
Rooms from £92 a night.
The Hotel Zetter
The Zetter Hotel is a quirky, award-winning boutique hotel located in fashionable Clerkenwell, London.
Rooms from £135 a night.
It’s a great one for me. Let’s go for a walk along the Thames path or in Richmond Park.