Brogdale Hanami Festival, Faversham, Kent
Brogdale Farm in Kent is one of the few places in Britain where you can celebrate Hanami, the Japanese festival dedicated to the annual cherry blossom.
Celebrate the Blossom Festival at Brogdale Farm. Photo credit: Brogdale Collection
Good news – you don’t have to fly all the way to Japan to celebrate the Japanese tradition of Hanami. For a really unique day out, visit Brogdale Farm in Kent, home to Britain’s national collection of fruit trees. It’s also the world’s largest collection, so what better place to picnic underneath the cherry blossom? I love coming here and then driving the short distance to Whitstable for a seafood supper by the sea. A fantastic spring foodie day out in Britain.The Foodie Travel Guide
- Taste Japanese food specialities
- Learn about Japanese culture
- Picnic under the blossom
- Take a guided tour of the orchard
Brogdale Hanami Festival
Picnic Underneath the Blossom
It’s a long-held spring tradition in Japan for friends and families to come together and enjoy an afternoon relaxing together under the cherry blossom. Sharing a picnic under the beautiful trees, is a unique and ‘not to miss’ event. Throughout the month of April, Brogdale Farm, near the Kent coast, is the perfect place in Britain to do the same. The farm has over 350 flowering varieties of cherry blossom as well as apple, pear, apricot and plum trees. All you need is a sunny day, a picnic rug and a delicious spread of food for a lazy afternoon underneath the boughs.
Brogdale Hanami Festival
Discover more about Japanese culture at Brogdale’s dedicated Hanami Festival Day. Watch a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, a performance of martial arts or listen to Shepherd Neame, Britain’s oldest brewer, talk about their brewing history and their Japanese Asahi beer. Asahi, pronounced ‘A-Sa-Hee’, means ‘rising sun’ and is Japan’s number one beer.
- You are welcome to bring your own picnic or to order one in advance from Brogdale
- Entrance tickets include a small Japanese exhibition and a guided tour of the orchards introducing you to the history of Hanami and Britain’s National Fruit Collection
- Brogdale Farm has a café and several shops including an excellent butcher’s
- Come back in the autumn to taste heritage apples at Brogdale Apple Festival
- Combine your trip with a tour of Shepherd Neame Brewery in Faversham (advance booking required)
It’s a doggy day out for me too but only if I’m well-behaved.
How to Find The Brogdale Hanami Festival
Brogdale Blossom Festival, Brogdale Farm, Brogdale Rd, Faversham, Kent ME13 8XZ
Find more Foodie Things to do in Whitstable.
The Foodie Travel Guide
Sally is the founder and editor of The Foodie Travel Guide. She travels around the UK and beyond in search of the best foodie days out, tasting experiences and delicious places to stay. She loves a glass of English sparkling wine, afternoon tea with friends and escaping London for gastronomic adventures.