Give Yourself The Gift of Afternoon Tea at Fortnum and Mason
Fortnum and Mason, Piccadilly, London
Afternoon Tea at Fortnum and Mason, taken in its elegant Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon, is a sparkling tea tasting adventure guided by a resident tea expert.
Afternoon Tea at Fortnum and Mason Photo: Fortnum and Mason
As a shopping destination for food lovers visiting London, Fortnum & Mason is simply unmissable. This iconic food emporium oozes with Britishness and tradition. My advice to you when you visit, is to make time for tea.
Smell and taste classic teas from around the world in the Food Hall. Better still, spoil yourself or someone you love, with the gift of a Champagne Afternoon Tea in Fortnum & Mason’s elegant Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon. It’s a genteel affair but a special one and without doubt, one of London’s best Afternoon Tea experiences.
Go home with preserves from the Food Hall. Don’t forget to stand outside the store on the hour and watch the clock strike to see Mr Fortnum and Mr Mason pop out.The Foodie Travel Guide
Fortnum and Mason’s Tea Story
With strong family ties to the East India Company, Fortnum and Mason has been sourcing and selling tea for over 300 years. Established way back in 1707, the grocery store and tea dealer later became known for its exquisitely packaged fine foods and strong royal connections.
Take Afternoon Tea in the Diamond Jubilee Salon
As official grocer to the Royal household, its fourth floor Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon, where Afternoon Tea is served, was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 2012. Crisp white tablecloths, eau-de-nil fine china, piano music and attentive waiting staff in smart uniforms, make it one of London’s top venues for a stylish and refined Afternoon Tea experience.
The Diamond Jubilee Salon Photo: Fortnum and Mason
Enjoy a Champagne Afternoon Tea
The centrepiece of Fortnum’s award-winning Afternoon Tea are the scones. Thousands are freshly baked on-site each day. Dusted with icing sugar and served with Somerset clotted cream and Fortnum’s finest preserves, they sit on the silver cake carriage beside fancy cakes and traditional finger sandwiches. Tasty sandwich fillings include Coronation chicken, a dish created for the Queen’s coronation luncheon in 1953.
Be Guided by Fortnum’s Tea Expert
What makes Afternoon Tea at Fortnum & Mason even more charming are the ‘Tearistas’ – resident tea experts. As you sample the teas, they’ll tell you the stories behind where the teas are grown and how they’re made.
- Combine Afternoon Tea at Fortnum and Mason with a view of the latest exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts located opposite
- About to hop on the Eurostar to Paris? Take time for Afternoon Tea at Fortnum and Mason in St Pancras station
- Browse the excellent selection of British craft gins in the basement including those from Sipsmith distillery in Chiswick, Edinburgh Gin Distillery and Chase Distillery in Herefordshire
- Buy a bottle of English sparkling wine from Ridgeview Wine Estate in Sussex or Chapel Down vineyard in Kent
- Love marmalade? Enter the annual Dalemain Marmalade Championships and your marmalade could be stocked on Fortnum & Mason’s shelves
- Afternoon Tea at the Ritz, which is also located on Piccadilly, is a good alternative choice
How to Find Fortnum and Mason
Fortnum and Mason 181 Piccadilly, St. James’s, London W1A 1ER
Fortnum & Mason Piccadilly
The Foodie Travel Guide
Sally is the founder and editor of The Foodie Travel Guide. She travels around the UK and beyond in search of the best foodie days out, tasting experiences and delicious places to stay. She loves a glass of English sparkling wine, afternoon tea with friends and escaping London for gastronomic adventures.
Afternoon Tea at Fortnum and Mason
- Sip Fortnum’s world-famous tea
- Resident tea experts
- Enjoy finger sandwiches, scones and cakes
- Elegant Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon
- Ideal as a gift or for a special occasion
- Celebrate with a glass of champagne
- Browse in the Food Hall afterwards
You May Also Like:
Take the guesswork out of where to stay in London with our hotel recommendations. From boutique hotels to gastropubs with rooms, we’ve got lots of delicious recommendations for you.